About Me

My photo
I'm a caterpillar that hasn't become a butterfly. My blog is about being in that cocoon, breaking free and everything that comes with it...

Sunday 2 March 2014

EMBRACING MY GAP TEETH



My introduction would be incomplete without telling you about my gap teeth.

Diastema, open teeth, garage, window...call it what you may.

It has been a part of my identity for over 30 years.

It haunted me, plagued me, was instrumental to a poor self esteem in my teen and early 20s, left me mute when I'd rather be speaking, left tell tale signs if I ever bit into an apple, or a slice of bread or watermelon, stole my smile in photographs, put a hijab (my hand) over my mouth whenever I laughed...

Boy, I could go on and on.

My teeth all out smile
My gap teeth was (is) so wide I thought no man would ever find me attractive enough for marriage.

I thought, fantasized, day dreamed about closing it up.

But I didn't have that kind of money.

Then I got proposed to.

And I said yes.

And then I figured it didn't really matter after all.

Moral of the story: There's more to you than your perceived imperfections (Acne inclusive). People who love you, love you regardless. People who don't, don't. And true beauty really runs deep

PS: My son's also gap toothed (:

PPS: Someone out there truly thinks your shit poop smells like perfume.

3 comments:

  1. Finally you are taking these baby steps, proud of you dear!

    Sunshine's wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may have been about gap - teeth but it spoke to me on a different level.
    Thanks. Looking forward to more inspiring posts from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Sunshine's wife: Thanks love. My moon drew its strength from the rays of your sun. Mwah :)

    @ Ity love: Thanks for coming over. And thanks for your inspiring posts as well. You make me wanna rob a boutique.
    Please follow Itoro at www.bezalelandoholiab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete